Okay you cried a bucket of tears and you felt your heart was like crushed many times. And for days or weeks or even months, break-up songs repeatedly plays in music playlist starts to become your favorite now. You invite friends for an impromptu drinking spree to get an audience while you sulk about your relationship that just ended. On some days and nights when you are less energized you spent it alone in your room, crying.
Then sooner you will finally accept the fact that you are back to being single again. As it gets in to your system you will eventually appreciate things you don’t while you are still in a relationship.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against about having relationships and being married. But for now, let me enumerate a few (in random order) of the many awesome moments of being single. These are not only my personal experience but a collective statements I got from friends who does claimed that they are single and content, at least for now. :
1. Those times when you are in long line at the FX terminal at the mall and the barker says ‘isa nalang’ (one more) and everyone ahead of you comes in pairs or groups. That was just awesome. Same goes when commuting becomes a sport best mastered when you are just solo.
2. When you don’t have to answer back ‘I love you too’.
3. You are not obliged to answer to a ‘templated’ texts such as “Where are you?”, “Have you eaten?”, “Good morning/afternoon/evening”.
4. And if you don’t pick up the call on the second ring or even on the 20th attempt, no one will suspect that you are with someone else. And well, you can always reject a call or not return one, whenever you like. No one will threatened to break-up with you.
5. When you can oversleep on weekends just because you can.
6. You can pose with anybody and post just about anything on Facebook without fear of someone might get jealous.
7. That bonding time with your friends of the opposite sex is not an issue.
8. Your decisions whether to take new courses, to live in a different city or time zone, a new car or a property only, a new job, a new business venture depends on your own sound decision alone and not because of a partner.
9. You can invite a random friend or an office mate for coffee, movie or dinner with no malice and you can always level up anytime you want to.
10. You dress and look your best for yourself and not for somebody else.
11. Your wallet can be thicker. Admit it, relationships can be costly sometimes. Unless you believe that love is more on the taking than giving.
12. You can splurge on stuff for yourself, your friends and for your family especially for those cute nieces and nephews of yours.
13. You don’t have to answer the question :’when are you going to marry?’. It’s always a pressure when someone asks when you are still enjoying a bf-gf relationship.
14. You can schedule a trip or even go on a hiatus anytime without having to think that someone needs to be consulted or joined in. Solo trips when done smartly and carefully can be really awesome. Believe me.
15. That moment when you are in a restaurant or coffee shop alone and someone approached you and asks if you can share table with him/her. Say yes if the person looks harmless (and cute). He/she could be an instant new friend. Or maybe who knows, he/she could be ‘the one’? Yey!
The list could be endless, but for now that’s just about it for me. Whenever sadness creeps in, I just count the ways why I chose to be single and what made me appreciate it.
Last week, I was chatting with an old friend who’s now single. He believed that he’s not lucky in love and even said that being single now leaves him too many options. Oh well, knowing him, I know he’s just kidding about it. But it could be half-meant.
Sometimes when we rushed in a relationship and half-way through it we will meet someone, let’s say better or someone we liked in the first place, we don’t usually get out of our current relationship and jump to another, right? But we can always wish of having too many chances or options.
That being said, let us add that in our list an old saying about ‘collect and select’. That sounds fun right? But remember not to break too many hearts, including yours. At least not too much.
Join the 30-day blogging challenge, check out this link. On my next post, I will share my greatest fears (which I don’t normally talk about) as a single person.